In the early 1900s, services at the Holland Church on the Dutch Corner in DeMotte (First Reformed Church) were only spoken in Dutch. Many of the younger members could not understand the Dutch language. Interested in hearing God’s Word preached in English instead of Dutch, American Reformed Church was organized. Their first English service was held in the DeMotte Elementary School on October 10,1920. There were 44 communicate members and 55 non-communicate members. Since then much has changed.
The original superstructure was built in 1935 following the sketches of Reverend Peter Swart. By 1951 the church had grown from 23 families in 1920 to 140 families and the addition of the educational wing and chapel were added to the the existing structure. In 1956, the sanctuary and balcony were enlarged adding seating for 100 and the current stained glass windows. The Fellowship Hall, Fireside Room, and new kitchen were added in 1974. Over the years the surrounding properties south and north of the church were purchased.
The most recent structural change occurred in 1989 added the large educational wing with youth room, offices and additional sanctuary seating. In 2016, we completed extensive work to the front entrance area of the church including digital sign and new steps.